Friday, June 20, 2008

What is Style?

After looking through all my blog entries for this course, I could only think one thing. Style can be defined in a lot of different ways. Before this class, when I thought of the word style in regards to a person's way of writing, I often thought about the flow of their sentences, and the way they structure their essay. However, after going through this class, I realize there is so much more to writing style than just that. For instance, I learned that their are different writing styles related to formal essay writing than with web page style. I also was intrigued when we talked about writing technology and how that is considered style. So based on this, I would say writing style is just a blanket term for a lot of different concepts of writing.

If someone were to ask me what I learned from this class, I would have a lot to tell them. First off, I would tell them about the history of writing, and why it is so important that we are able to write things down. I would also be able to instruct them as to how to make a webpage and a portfolio of their work. I could teach them how to make a comic strip and I could also teach them about visual rhetoric in general. I feel that as teacher, these skills will definitely come in handy when dealing with my own students.

No comments: