Saturday, May 10, 2008

Writing Technology

What I found interesting while reading these different readings this week, was the different tones all of them take towards the technology of writing. For instance, both Baron and Manguel talk about the methods of writing have evolved over a period of time in which to make it easier for those who are doing the writing to produce it. Baron talks about how as a writer, he feel the computer has helped him in his writing. I would have to agree with this to a point. I myself prefer to write on a computer, because it allows me to type out my thoughts as fast as I am thinking them, which is usually pretty fast!

However, I think there is something to be said about what Plato thinks about writing. He is correct in saying that it makes us a little lazier about our thought. Like I said above, it is much easier for me to just type all my thoughts on here because it is faster. However, does it even allow me to take the time to think about what my thoughts really mean? Probably not as I am realizing even as I am writing this all down.

Also, looking at this computer and having it spell check for me, I feel as though this kind of technology is kind of dumbing us down as a society. When I think about Manguel talking about pencils, those people who were doing writing with tools instead of a computer had to think more about the writing process than we do today with all the grammar and spelling checks on a computer. Much like a calculator for math, this teaches us little about what good grammar even is.

This would go along with what Ong says in his article. What does good grammar even mean? Ong believes it is just something that is "contrived" and implies that writing is arrogant. I tend to agree. Who can rightfully say it is better to get your thoughts out on paper when spoken word can be much more powerful.

No comments: